Facilitator Training Responses
The following is a summative report of a group of 10 Learning Mentor's evaluation of the 3 day SYEP Facilitator Training Programme (Nov. 2005), and is quite typical of responses from other trainee groups:
The quality and usefulness of SYEP materials was considered by all learning mentors to be excellent and extremely useful. Without exception all learning mentors liked every part of the training, several placed emphasis on the peace and calmness they experienced in the Tranquillity Zone. Because a personal sense of well being was achieved in the course coupled with creative ways of engaging participants, learning mentors were desirous of continuing training.
Without exception all learning mentors found the training very relevant for primary and secondary school pupils providing a wealth of knowledge and ideas. Training also enhanced confidence in personal abilities and stimulated an eagerness to apply what has been learnt on the course. All learning mentors regarded the quality of each of the three days of training as excellent and would not make any significant changes to the course; most expressed a wish to extend training past the three days. The most important request was for training sessions to be closer in time.
Through a variety of responses all learning mentors indicated that the course brought them joy, inspiration and fulfilment underpinning and stimulating engagement in a personal transformation process. All felt empowered to take their learning and experience into the school situation. The overall feeling was one of excited anticipation, overcoming natural nervousness and apprehension, to start SYEP work.
Some typical responses to SYEP training course:
- 'All fantastic'.
- (I liked most) 'The tranquillity experience and how to facilitate some of the D. Zone activities'.
- (I liked most) '18 Key Elements, discussion and training'.
- (I liked most) 'The T. Zone session is so energising, encouraging and positive. I can't wait to share this wonderful benefit with others'.
- 'All of the training was brilliant'.
- (I liked most) 'The Discovery Zone work'.
- 'All of the training - so meaningful'.
- 'Tranquillity Zone very relaxing. Discovery Zone very valuable'.
- 'All of it - the quality of our workbooks is exceptional'.
- 'No part of the day was boring or unnecessary'.
- '…I found it all to be inspiring and fuelled the imagination'.
- (training considered to be) 'Extremely relevant - for one to one and group work'.
- (training considered to be) 'Unbelievable - it makes me feel more confident in my own abilities'.
- 'It will make a lot of difference to a lot of children'.
- 'A wealth of knowledge and ideas to take into school'.
- '…I truly believe it is the answer for many children and I know it will work'.
- 'It is relevant to all aspects of mentoring, both working in primary and secondary schools'.
- 'More days (training requested) as they are so uplifting and positive'.
- 'It made me feel differently about my role working with young people and also my role as a parent'.
- 'A fulfilling day. Staff at the centre were warm and friendly, nothing was too much - A great day - look forward to the next session'.
- 'It is a very inspirational course'.
- 'Thank you for making such an enjoyable day. I go home with so much peace - it's great'.
- 'Yes, though still nervous (about starting work in school). Eager, but lacking confidence initially'.
- 'An excellent environment to have your training provided'.
- 'Training was excellent'.